Friday, July 20, 2012

Everyone likes Phun, right?

Five more calories and I could have eaten a Devil Dog.
I rode my bike this morning to Coney Island in the rain. There were plenty of options to eat, particularly tempting was some breakfast hot dogs at Nathan's, but didn't want to squander the calorie credit I was building. I've been a relatively serious recreational/commuter/distance cyclist for about 12 years now, and one thing I've heard repeatedly from various friends is some version of:
"Wow, you ride you bicycle so much, and yet you're still a lard-ass!"
And it's true. I've ridden 100 mile rides weekly, I've gone cross country by bike, I've put a lot of time and energy into it and yet, I've been usually one of the fattest (and relatively slowest) riders on most organized rides I participate in. And it doesn't bother me, I'm not competitive and never really worried about what the next guy over thinks. Particularly if he's head to toe in neon spandex and wearing sunglasses like this:
After winning a stage in the Tour de France, Kenny F'ing Powers strode over to give his sample.
The thing about burning lots of calories quickly is you get ravenous. And my habits tend to be to eat more calories than I burn day-to-day, and when it comes to a 100 mile ride, it becomes even more exaggerated. One could say not only has bike riding propped up my weight, but encouraged me to get fatter.

So when I decided to start counting calories a few weeks ago, I knew I'd have to get a handle on the bike thing. I started with this calculator geared to bike activity, but it didn't feel right. So I bought a new cyclometer with calorie-expenditure measurement, and low and behold, it's measurements were tallying about half the calories of the online calculator. Bigger opportunity to eat, now a bigger opportunity to lose.

Speaking of bikes, one of my favorite blogs is Bikesnob NYC. I've met Mr. Snob and have had the privilege of spending some time with him, so I'm happy to totally rip him off flatter him with a tribute to his end of week quizzes, where he tests the patience deep knowledge of his readership. I shall call it the....

Phriday Phun Quiz

Gaze upon the questions below. Guess right and you will be laughed at by a fat baby. Guess wrong and you will go to jail, with out the bail, because you failed. Ready? Aim! What? Wait a sec! Oh.
It replaced the previous candy, Gone-O-Reyah

Which weight suppressant is the funniest?

  1. Ayds
  2. Xenical, a.k.a. the poop-yer-pants-pill
  3. A punch in the face
  4. Yo momma's cooking

Yo Momma in action.
Yo momma is so fat,:

  1. she doesn't sit around the house, she sits AROUND the house.
  2. she jumped up in the air and got stuck.
  3. when she went out in a red dress, everyone yelled, "HEY KOOL-AID!"
  4. her belly button has got an echo.

Have a good weekend, catch you next week!

BIKE CREDIT: 650 cal
THE COUNT: 2945 cal
Friday is not a normal day during the summer. B has summer Fridays, Baby Milli has a sitter, Toddler Edie is in day camp, and I get to ride my bike. Due to heavy weather, took a shorter morning ride out to Coney Island, then took out B to DUMBO for lunch to honor our wedding anniversary. The meal was big & heavy, I ordered salad with my burger, she ordered fries with hers, I ate half her fries, we went nuts for the occasion and ordered two slices o' pie, the same pie served at our wedding. In the evening, did yoga with the HVS (the Hungry Vegan Society, who will have her own post next week, if she allows me to talk about her here!) and then a movie. A chocolate thing at the cafe, popcorn in the the theater - no calorie counts, but portion wise, it was more of a meal than the snack it was supposed to be. I felt full after sitting through a 2 hour movie, so the calories must have been up there.

AM SNACK: 7:15am, iced green tea, 25 cal


BREAKFAST: 7:45am, 2 small whole wheat pancakes, 3 slices of bacon, 450 cal


BIKE SNACK: 11:30am, Gatorade, 130 cal


PM SNACK: 1pm, momma salad, 90 cal


LUNCH: 2:30pm, burger, salad, fries, apple pie, peanut butter pie, water, +/- 1250 cal


EVENING SNACK: 7:45pm, chocolate peanutbutter brownie thing, popcorn, diet coke, +/- 1000 cal

No comments:

Post a Comment