Sunday, March 30, 2014

Weigh In: Girthy


190-->192.6-->196.8
After weighing myself this morning, I did my lifting routine -- my single warm-up pull up is complete and while not easy, is readily accomplishable. While doing push ups, sit ups and getting dressed in the mirror (something I usually never do), I was consciously looking closely for changes. I put on clothes that previously were just a little small -- a medium button down shirt, a pair of corduroys with a 32 waist. Looking closely in the mirror, my life-long moobs look a little less moobalicious, and more, I dunno, musclymoobish? Mubbs? 
The #1 google image search result for "Mubbs"
Despite both my slightly distorted self-perception of my physical being and the near seven pounds I've picked up this past winter, evidence seems to point out that I'm smaller in girth. The new benchmarks in strength and the loosening of my pants and belt over the past 2 or three months matched with the weight gain can only mean I've put on some muscle....
OOOOH YEEEEAH!
....which doesn't really appeal to me. I want to be strong, sure, but aesthetically I would prefer to be small and lean, not big n' muscly.  Over the winter I've religiously lifted weights twice a week, and increased the length and intensity as the soreness that it produced receded. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the results are starting to let themselves be known. I guess for so many years I honestly believed that while exercise and less food would have an impact, it would never work for me because somehow my body would be an exception. Despite that noise in the back of my head, I've pushed forward, not expecting results, but going ahead regardless because the alternate would be more kidney stones, diabetes and hurting my kids through my inability to be healthy.

Spring is about to spring, I've already kicked up my cycling habit. Until the winter, I'm going to cut back my lifting to once a week. Food, however....

Last Friday I got a notice that there was a leak in the gas line and the gas was being turned off until further notice -- no oven, no burners. I don't cook much over the weekend, so it was no big deal. Con Ed came on Monday, and….might have gas back at the end of the week. My co-op supplied a "free" hot plate, a ridiculously underpowered piece of crap that is not strong enough to boil water or cook anything. I rolled with it, but I would be lying if my vanity said, "Damn, and this is the week I weigh in!" It was an adjustment on Monday, figuring out that the hot plate was worthless and I had nothing immediately on hand to eat without the oven, so I ordered in, but after that, had enough lead time to accommodate the hand tied behind my back by the lack of my main cooking tool.

Today (Friday) I got another notice that the entire gas line needs to be replaced. Not only will I not have gas to use the stove top or oven for the foreseeable future, but there has to be major construction in my apartment and things will not be back to functional for at least a month. On one hand, ugg. But on the other hand, I know I'm a creative person with a culinary education, this is a well-needed challenge to interrupt, expand and give some interest to my weekly food routine...and hopefully still keep up on the calories and vegetable consumption.
-----


WEEKLY AVERAGE: 2331
Average is lower this week probably due to the fact I knew I was weighing in, but in the end got the result I expected. Still, I'm good with it.
-----

MONDAY COUNT: 2280
SLEPT: 11:45pm - 6:30am, 6.75 hr
Intended to wake up at 4:30 to lift, but my body still hasn't quite recovered from the 75 mile bike ride Saturday and less than 5 hours of sleep will usually leave me a mess, anyway.

First day of suffering under no gas for the oven. Ordered in, too much food. Protein-heavy, rice-based noodles go easier on my than wheat-based. Purim snacks followed up accidentally. Still, despite it feeling like 1000 calories, I ate wisely during the day and didn't go too far out of my budget

AM SNACK: 4:15am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 9am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber/ginger juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 10:15am, Fage whole yogurt with honey, vanilla and almonds, 285 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, falafel, chicken mushroom soup, health salad, pickles, 530cal

PM SNACK: 3 pm, momma salad, crackers from Grazebox, 185 cal

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, poppa salad with bottled ranch dressing, 120 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, tofu pad thai, chicken satay, 4 hamentashen, +/- 1000 cal
-----

TUESDAY COUNT: 2775
SLEPT: 8:30pm-2am, 5-6:30am, 7 hrs
Birthday. Ate some special cookies from England with my kids, was much better than a cake with candles. Seeing Mili with what seemed like the chocolate of 20 cookies smeared all over his face when it was just one cookie, well, thats a present in itself.


AM SNACK: 2:15am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber/ginger juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 10am, Steel cut oatmeal, 300 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, chicken meatballs, steamed string beans, Madras lentils,pickles, 680 cal

PM SNACK: 3 pm, momma salad, with pretzel and almonds from graze box , 235 cal

PM SNACK: 5pm, poppa salad with  bottled ranch dressing,  120 cal

DINNER: 6pmEthiopian lentils and cabbage, 480 cal
Never had a calorie count on Ethiopian before -- prepacked "fresh" dinner from the local supermarket, surprised to find it, as the place is typically a little low-rent. But, exactly what I need to get through the gas-less time. Still, friggin' $10 for maybe $1 worth of ingredients -- cooking, transportation, packaging, marketing and markup shouldn't make it that much, this line is going to fail. This meal would be cheaper in a restaurant. If it was $5, it would be a bargain, and $7 would be OK. Above $8, it's only for when the gas is out!

BIRTHDAY SNACKING:  6:45pm, digestive cookies, small portion of potato chips, small portion of cheese doodles, +/- 800 cal
-----

WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2145
SLEPT: 8:30pm - 4am, 7.5 hr
Stopped by the newly reopenned Dojo for dinner, very disappointed with the menu and the vibe, left without going in to an ol' falafel shack on St. Marks I used to hit up in high school.

AM SNACK: 4:15am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber/ginger juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 10:15am, Fage whole yogurt with honey, vanilla and almonds, 285 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, andouille chicken sausage, sofrito black beans, health salad, pickles, 440cal

PM SNACK: 3 pm, momma salad, crackers from Grazebox, 200 cal

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, poppa salad with bottled ranch dressing, 120 cal

PM SNACK: 6:15pm, cashews, 240

DINNER: 8pm, falafel platter with hummus, baba & grape leaves,  +/- 700 cal
-----

BIKE CREDIT: 570 cal
THURSDAY COUNT: 2205
SLEPT: 10:30pm - 3am, 4.5 hr
Excellent but very cold ride to Coney in the morning, when is this winter gonna be done? Intended a very different packed lunch, but was busy at work then had to jet to parent teacher confrences, so hit up Little Poland on the way downtown. Really needed it, would have been a bonking space case if I didn't get some nice heavy carbs in me. (Gonna keep lunch at work for tomorrow.)

BIKE SNACK: 3:15am, homemade granola bar, iced green tea, 100mg caffeine, 465 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber/ginger juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:45am, Steel cut oatmeal, 300 cal


LUNCH: 1pm, mixed boiled perogies with onions, side of kraut, +/- 800 cal

PM SNACK: 3 pm, momma salad, soy crackers with chili sauce from Grazebox, 180 cal

PM SNACK: 5:15pm, cashews, 240

DINNER: 6:15pm, Subway 6" veggie burger sub, fritos, diet coke, 755

-----

FRIDAY COUNT: 2250
SLEPT: 10pm - 4am, 6 hr

AM SNACK: 4:15am, iced green tea, o cal

BREAKFAST: 6:30am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber/ginger juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9am, fruit smoothie, 400 cal


LUNCH: 1pm, soy tempeh, jodhpur lentils, steamed string beans, pickles, 580 cal

PM SNACK: 3 pm, momma salad, herby crackers  from Grazebox, 190 cal


PM SNACK: 4:30pm, poppa salad with bottled ranch dressing, 120 cal

DINNER: 5:15pm, BLT, homefries, a little cake, water, +/- 800 cal

No comments:

Post a Comment