Sunday, June 9, 2013

Carbo-loading, f'real?

Something tells me this is not going to end well.
Last Saturday, my 1.5 year old son woke me up at 1am - he wanted a hug, he needed a diaper change, and he got a bottle after all that to get him back to sleep quickly and efficiently. However, I was up, so I got on my bike and road 150 miles.

It's not that simple, of course. I'd been preparing for a 1:30am wake up for the past week, so 30 minutes didn't make much of a difference. I skipped the prior week's weight lifting so I'd have no sore muscles lingering for the ride, and all my gear and equipment was arranged, checked, pumped & lubed the day before. But I did one thing that I'd done before, but never thought about too deeply: for dinner, with my protein and veg, I doubled up on my carbohydrate.

I knew that endurance athletes like marathon runners have a tradition of a big pasta dinner the night before the run, a.k.a. "carbo-loading", and I was mimicking this practice. So, is this a real thing?

Yes, it is. Glycogen is the form all calories take regardless of whether it is consumed as a carb, fat or protein: a super simple kind of simple carbohydrate, a.k.a. sugar. It is stored in your muscles and liver as the last place in your body where energy is kept before expended in the form of movement and activity. The idea behind carbo-loading is to consume foods that are easy to digest so as to top-off the glycogen in your muscles and liver. If you do endurance sports and run out of glycogen, you hit....the wall.
All in all, we're all just (trying to avoid hitting) bricks in the wall.
When you run out of glycogen during a race you hit "the wall." Your body has to slow down as it turns fat into energy. Benjamin Rapoport, a 2:55 marathoner, is intimately acquainted with the wall. The Harvard M.D. student (who has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from MIT) hit the wall so hard at the 2005 New York City Marathon he decided to study how to avoid it in the future. "Proper carbo-loading—or filling your muscles to the brim with glycogen—won't make you faster, but it will allow you to run your best and, if you race smartly, avoid the wall," he says. 
It's carbo-loading, not fat-loading, protein-loading or even sugar-loading, for a reason. All food eventually be turned into glycogen, fat, pee or pooh. (And farts, if you want to get technical, about it.) However, they don't get there equally as easy. Fat and proteins take more time and energy to break down. Simple sugars will have the added side effect of spiking blood sugar and causing issues with hunger, energy level and hormones. High-fiber food will slow down digestion and cause potential distress during an endurance event.
Which carbs should you load up on? "I'm very utilitarian," says Rapoport. "I eat rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner." But runners don't need to be so restrictive. Tortillas, oatmeal, bread, pancakes, waffles, bagels, yogurt, and juice are all easy-to-digest options. Many fruits are high in carbs but are also high in fiber—and too much can cause stomach trouble midrace. "Bananas are a low-fiber choice," says sports nutritionist Ilana Katz, R.D. "And you can peel apples, peaches, and pears to reduce their fiber content." She also gives her clients permission to indulge in white bread and baked potatoes without the skin since both are easily digested.
So can you eat ten pounds of pasta the night before the race? Probably not, unless you like to start a run with a big ol' horking.

Rapoport came up with an elegant formula to guide the endurance athlete in terms of how much: For two to three days before the event, 85-95% of all calories should come from a mix of simple and complex carbohydrates. One day's consumption should equal 4 grams of carbs for every pound of body weight. So, as a 200 lb guy, I should eat about 800 grams of carbs, which is equivalent of 3,200 calories. That's a full thousand over my daily routine, and a solid 50-60% more carbs than I usually aim for, but my daily routine is designed to slowly lose weight, not endure a long-distance athletic event.

As with everything, moderation. In the future, I do not think I will formally experiment with carbo-loading unless I really plan to ride at least 150 miles. However, an double cous cous portion on a Friday night before a Saturday morning bike ride doesn't sound like a bad idea.
-----

While waiting around in town for the separate arrival of my bicycle after a long train ride last Saturday, I popped in a McDonald's for a sinful meal, with no intention of getting a soda. But instead of the traditional soda dispensary, they had an odd machine with a touch screen and a single inset spout. So I ordered a meal which came with a cup, and explored the machine.

Ah, I see. This must of been in the planning stages once Coke got wind of a "soda ban". A soda dispenser that is used by the customer instead of the server, and an interface that is friendly and game-like.  When you touch the "diet coke" logo, the screen clears and many more icons show up in a circle:
  • Diet Coke
  • Diet Lemon Coke
  • Diet Lime Coke
  • Diet Raspberry Coke
  • Diet Orange Coke
  • Diet Cherry Coke
  • Diet Cherry Vanilla Coke
  • Caffeine Free Diet Coke
And that's not including Coke Zero and all it's variants! You press one of those, and it becomes the only icon on the screen. The "pour" button lights up and you place your cup under, and you fill as you wish.

This is definitely an "end-run" around a "soda ban". Yes, you only get one 16-oz cup, but this machine invites one to come back again and again and play, experiencing not only 100s of different flavors, but 1000s upon thousands of combinations. When I worked in some restaurants, a big deal was made of mixing dark cherry soda with Italian limonatta soda. This is that on steroids. This is that on coke.

Once I say the "Diet Cherry Coke", I filled half of the 22oz cup, and greatly enjoyed it -- I always got the cherry version when available, but in later years it only came in 1 liter bottles, which would go flat before finishing. In the past year, 12oz cans became available but by then I was focused on helping myself get out of the diet soda habit with 7oz cans. So now that I've kicked even those, it comes back around on tap and freely flowing for one low charge! That, sir, are serious corporate marketing tentacles.
-----

WEEKLY AVERAGE: 2138
First full week of working in an office, happy to report my eating was just as good as it has been. It's a bit different, as I have to stick to what can be reheated in a microwave, but I found roasted vegetables made the night before to be just fine. I have a sense of relief.
-----

MONDAY COUNT: 2385
Ugh, had to leave work in a rush to get to a dentist's appt, skipped out on my momma salad. After getting a filling, could not eat at all for 2 hours so sipped my juice through a straw, and my evening meal had to be chewed on one side of my face, no fun.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 11am, steel cut oatmeal with brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & salt, 350 cal
It occurred to me that this breakfast is very portable, so I took it to work & zapped it. Unfortunately, I forgot about it then ate it a bit late.

LUNCH: 2pm, sardine & avocado on whole wheat toast, health salad, kimchi, water, 580 cal
Toaster oven the only source of heat other than the micro. Took a solid 6 minutes to get to super-light toast. Still, a successfully put together portable lunch.

PM SNACK: 7:15pm, apple/carrot/beet/cucumber/celery/ginger/kale/cayenne juice, 205 cal

PM SNACK: 8:15pm momma salad, 100 cal

DINNER: 8:45pm, pint of shrimp lomein, +/-850 cal
Ordered for the kids the day before, but they sent shrimp instead of vegetable. Fortunately, I needed something soft & easy to eat with one side of my mouth, and calorically it worked out. Funny, never thought of food in terms of soft & easy to eat before, but for anyone with dental issues, it must be looming over everything.


EVENING SNACK: 9:15pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

TUESDAY COUNT: 2030
Good eating day. Work going well, eating going well.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, Fage whole yogurt with agave, vanilla and almonds, 325 cal
Another breakfast transported to work.

LUNCH: 1pm, chicken sausages, steamed string beans, punjab eggplant stew, water, 590 cal

PM SNACK: 4pm, momma salad & seaweed, 200 cal

PM SNACK: 7:30pm, poppa salad with miso tahini, 100 cal

DINNER: 8:30pm, grilled pork tenderloin, roasted broccoli, berbere whole wheat cous cous, 515 cal
Made exactly two equal portions of each, the second for an easy zappable lunch tomorrow.


EVENING SNACK: 9:45pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2140
Good eating day. As the middle of my 1st full office week in a hella long time, I'm starting to realize the eating part is actually kinda easier, not harder, if the appropriate prep is taken.

AM SNACK: 7am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 8am, Fruit Smoothie, 410 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, grilled pork tenderloin, roasted broccoli, berbere whole wheat cous cous, 515 cal
Surprisingly enjoyable and fresh for a micro meal. I was able to store some of the pork jus in a little mise cup that really brought the otherwise ugly pile of food together.

PM SNACK: 4pm, momma salad & beef jerky, 260 cal

PM SNACK: 8:30pm, apple/carrot/beet/cucumber/celery/ginger/kale/cayenne juice180 cal

DINNER: 9pm, hake loin, roasted brussel sprouts, poppa salad with homemade Italian dressing, 475 cal


EVENING SNACK: 9:45pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

THURSDAY COUNT: 1900
Did laundry when I got home last night, as well as prep lunch and cook a huge pot o' oatmeal for 3 servings and a big supply for Mili.  Woke up at 5am to finally get a lift session in -- I skipped it all last week in the run up to the 150 mile ride, which also coincided with the start of working in an office. I skipped it earlier in the week because I still hadn't recovered from the ride fully. Now, no more excuses. Felt good, though I could use a little more sleep, he he.

AM SNACK: 5:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, steel cut oatmeal with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla & salt, 250 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, almond butter and jelly on whole wheat, health salad, 590 cal

PM SNACK: 4pm, momma salad,  100 cal

PM SNACK: 8:30pm, poppa salad with tahini miso, 100 cal

DINNER: 8:45pm, shrimp in butter & garlic over shirataki noodles with sno peas and asparagus, 560 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9:45pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

FRIDAY COUNT:2235
Woke up slightly, pleasantly sore from yesterday's weights, makes me happy. Took a Citibike for the first time ever, from Edie's school to my work, amazing.

AM SNACK: 7am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 9:15am,  Fage whole yogurt with agave, vanilla and almonds, 325 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, Quarter Pounder Deluxe, 10oz diet cherry coke,  540 cal
I tried a shot of diet cherry vanilla coke from the machine. My god, that's disgusting.

PM SNACK: 4pm, momma salad & seaweed sheets,  200 cal


PM SNACK: 6:45pm, apple/carrot/beet/cucumber/celery/ginger/kale/cayenne juice, 185 cal

DINNER: 7:15pm, chicken meatballs, steamed stringbeans, amaranth, 685 cal
First time making amaranth, a whole, ancient grain. Now I know why it's not known -- it's kinda gross. Has the texture of slightly stiff caviar, a slightly off grassy flavor. Meh. For weird grains, I'll stick with teff.

EVENING SNACK: 9:45pm, Fritos, 300 cal




No comments:

Post a Comment