Sunday, November 3, 2013

Weigh In


191.6-->191.2-->192.4

Never been happier to gain weight.Well, not "happy" in that gaining weight is a goal, but content in the knowledge that nothing is wrong because of this development. The supporting evidence:
  • Friends who I only see every few months have remarked on my shrinking physique and new muscularity.
  • In the past week, I just started using the second loop of my new 3 month-old belt. (Sure part of it is the leather stretched, but it's not all that.)
  • The sweet Ben Sherman shirt I bought 6 months ago that didn't fit at all, I tried it on this morning as I do at every weigh in and it almost fits -- I probably could wear it out without looking silly, but will give it a few more months.
  • Feel good, weight lifting increasing in intensity, food is still on track and improving.
I do have fat on my frame, I'm hardly ripped, but the bulges and rolls are actually starting to look smaller to me, something that I really haven't been able to see until now -- ironically, on the eve of me gaining weight. I'm fairly confident in saying I'm probably gaining more muscle weight than the fat weight I'm losing.

Regardless of mental gymnastics, there's room for improvement. As we all move into the winter months where historically I've gained weight, my cycling will either go into only short weekly rides or stop all together. Big, heavy, starchy winter foods will become more prevalent. Short days, less time outside. Points to focus on:
  • Get a better grip on weekend eating.
  • Minimize weekday binges by easing up on the reigns when necessary.
  • Further increase the length and intensity of weight lifting sessions.
  • Vary weekday lunches with equally caloric menu (550-700cal)
  • Cook more big dishes to portion out over weeks (i.e. sofrito black beans, soup, etc.)
Just bagged up two trash bags full of clothes that don't fit me anymore and threw them in storage. Just received a new maroon flight jacket (size medium, replacing the old XL) and put three new pairs of (34 waist) pants to the tailor for hemming. Good thing I don't think I'll need a suit until Spring, because all my current suits are David Byrning it....

-----

After school on Thursday, my daughter went trick-or-treating with her baby brother and the baby sitter. I guess they trekked the neighborhood with classmates, hitting up every storefront, restaurant and bodega between the East Village and the Lower East Side. When I got home, I was kinda surprised/horrified to find a gallon-sized zip lock bag filled to the brim with lollipops, chocolate bars, gum, sucking candies, licorice and more. What do I do now? I'd like to throw it all away, but I know that would scar her for life. If I let her just have a go at it in the morning, she'll either get sick or worse, she won't get sick. Will I have to police this bag day by day until it's gone? How much can I throw away (in my MOUF) without her noticing?

Damn it, I thought, I'm a parent now.
-----

WEEKLY AVERAGE: 2347
Not a great eating week, surprised the average stayed in budget.
-----

MONDAY COUNT:2240
SLEPT: 8:30pm-6am, 7.5 hours (I was up for 2 hours in the middle of the night for, ummm, GI reasons, but I pushed my alarm back and skipped weights -- thank goodness, I woke up with enough pep to start off a good day.)
Despite not working out and waking up late, felt good when I got up, surprisingly a little sore from the Tour de Bronx. Was only 50 miles all-in with only small, short sharp hills, but pushing an 80lb bike with another 60lbs of daughter and coats and toys makes it a bit more exercisey!

AM SNACK: 6:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/ginger/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 10:30am, whole fage with almonds, agave and vanilla, 310 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, falafel, matzoh ball soup, health salad, pickle, 600

PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

PM SNACK: 5pm, poppa salad with homemade Italian dressing, 150 cal

DINNER: 7:45pm, mahi mahi, roasted asparagus, kimchi, Frito's, 870cal
-----

TUESDAY COUNT: 2090
SLEPT: 9:15pm-4am, 6.75hr
Good eating day, weights in the morning. Was gonna have Frito's, but it got too late and it was more important to get to bed for riding the next day.

AM SNACK: 4:15am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/ginger/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:45am, steel cut oatmeal, 415 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, chicken sausage, jodpur lentils, roasted brussel sprouts, 680 cal


PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

PM SNACK: 5pm, poppa salad with homemade Italian dressing, 150 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, grilled pork tenderloin, quinoa, brussel sprouts, 535 cal

-----

BIKE CREDIT: 600 cal
WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2350+
SLEPT: 8:15pm-3am, 6.75hr
Almost not enough sleep again, but slept deep and well. Cold is starting to effect my riding, but still highly enjoyed it. Felt light headed and wobbly on the way home, so stopped to eat pizza and sit a little rather than eat at home. It really felt like a bonk, so maybe I didn't eat enough? Though I "binged" in the evening and went off the reservation, it was a calm, controlled, not-so-bad binge that hopefully points to the future. I was still feeling a little off, and the evening food really helped. (I also suspect the white flour of the pizza was a trigger.)

AM SNACK: 3:15am, iced green tea, granola bar, 575 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/ginger/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:45am, whole fage with almonds, agave and vanilla, 310 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, grilled pork tenderloin, quinoa, brussel sprouts, two pickles, 555 cal


PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

PM SNACK: 5pm, poppa salad with homemade Italian dressing, 150 cal

DINNER: 8:30pm, 3 slices of pizza, +/- 750 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9pm, Frito's, 300 cal

BINGE: 9:15pm, peanut butter with chocolate syrup, +/-500 cal
-----

THURSDAY COUNT: 2635
SLEPT: 9:45pm-4:45am, 7hr
Skipped weight lifting, as I still felt a little sore from the session on Tuesday, I ran out of energy last night and waned to both get a half decent amount of sleep and get stuff done in the morning. Out to dinner with the wifey, avoided booze and sweets but the bread basket probably made this a hi-calorie meal. 

AM SNACK: 5:30am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/ginger/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:45am, steel cut oatmeal, 415 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, chicken meatballs, madras dal, broccoli, pickles, 760 


PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

PM SNACK: 5pm, poppa salad with homemade Italian dressing, 150 cal

DINNER: 8pm, small pizza, plate of salumni, 2 slices of bread with olive oil, water, +/- 1000 cal
-----

FRIDAY COUNT: 2420
SLEPT: 10pm - 3am, 5 hours
Woke up on my own, just happy to get a jump on stuff I needed to do and also prep to get up tomorrow at 2am to get maybe the last big ride of the year, as weather reports say it's gonna be sunny and in the 60s tomorrow. 

AM SNACK: 4am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 6:15am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/ginger/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:45am, fruit smoothie, 410

AM SNACK: 11:15am, a handful of halloween candy, +/-200 cal
Damn it, the office is flooded with people who brought in their kid's candy. Everyone around me munching on candy all damn day. Most of them are hung over, too.

LUNCH: 12:45pm, almond butter and grape jelly on whole wheat, steamed string beans, kimchi, 610 cal


PM SNACK: 3pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal
There was a poppa salad, but on the first bite, I detected a slight off flavor that indicated that the last salad of the week that was made on Saturday didn't quite make it.

PM SNACK: 5pm, different meats on sticks, salsa, guac, tortilla chips, +/-200 cal

DINNER: 6pm, various Chinese dumplings, ice cream, +/-1000 cal

EVENING SNACK: 8pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

WEEKEND REPORT
Saturday was spent on the bike, up at 2am and at my parent's gravesite by 8:30am, then home by 3 for a nap before dinner, a little under 100 miles in glorious Fall weather and colorful leaves. Ate a lot, but the 2000 calorie burn and goose to my metabolic rate probably offset a lot of harm. Sunday was a bit of a gorging day, however. Got good time in with my family, but so much time was centered around eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment