Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Punt

It's that kinda punt.
This was to be a weigh in post, short n' snappy, but this month my last-Friday weigh-in fell on the morning after Thanksgiving dinner. Due to (what I hope is) an inaccurate reading, I'm going to punt and do my weigh in one week late. Y'know, for ego's accuracy's sake.

-----
I've been keeping a blog in one form or another since 2006, and regardless of the topic, whenever Thanksgiving comes up, I get a case of the sads and pretty much write the same thing every year. Rather than trying to say the same thing with different words, I'll go all vacation-style and quote myself from the first year of blogging:

Thanksgiving in Andover, a suburb of Boston, this year is the first time in my life I've spent this holiday away from my hometown, NYC. Though I guess I should of saw it coming a million miles away, I'm missing my parents horribly today.
Different wings of the extended family took different holidays, and our wing was Thanksgiving. This was the only time of year my mom would 'cook', and by cook I mean coordinate. My dad would be responsible for the turkey and the salad, my mom would put the potatoes in the oven to bake, I would be responsible for the stuffing. My mom would make a big deal about how I 'made' the stuffing, but in reality it was from a box of Stouffers. I remember one year I suggested we actually stuff the turkey with it before cooking, I think the level of complexity it entailed was beyond the pale for my mom. My Brazilian uncle would bring really good homemade chocolate mouse, a trendy thing in the 70s. Aunts would bring booze and other pies. My mom could NOT go to sleep unless ALL the dishes were washed and set up to air-dry. The house (and in later years the apartment) was always full of people on Thanksgiving, and it was always a home-cooked meal. My mom would buy the turkey at least a week in advance, the table would be set at least 48 hours in advance, the nervous tension she had the day of, hours before anyone were to come and the entire home was scrubbed clean and there was just nothing left to do other than lie down and watch TV.
I look forward to the day of regularly hosting a holiday in my home with family and friends, with homemade food and days of preparation.

Its 6 years later, my family has arrived, and Thanksgiving brings a lot more to be grateful for this year. However, I'm still not getting to really do the meal like my parents did. Maybe in another 6 years....but for now, things are pretty great. I love and miss you, mom & dad!
-----

WEEKLY AVERAGE: ----
I knew this would be a challenging week, so rather than force the issue, I retired poppa salad for the week, so there would be less waste and less beating myself up. Sucks that I weigh in the morning after Thanksgiving. Went off the rails slowly but surly starting Thursday, so didn't record my eating....
-----

MONDAY COUNT: 1975
SLEPT: 8:30pm-4am, 7.5 hr
After the horrible eating weekend, good to have a good day. Despite the excessive calories the day before, I still was quite hungry after dinner….the body doesn't bank calories against habitual cyclical hunger, unfortunately. Still, it wasn't overwhelming, and motivated me to get to sleep, or perhaps I would have given in.

AM SNACK: 4:15 am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 6:45am,apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal
Thought I bought ginger but got lost on the way from the market to home.

BREAKFAST 2: 10am, steel cut oatmeal, 415

LUNCH: 12:45pm, falafel, butternut squash soup, roasted broccoli, 850

PM SNACK: 4 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, hake loins, asparagus, kimchi, 400 cal
-----

ROLLER CREDIT: 30 cal
TUESDAY COUNT: 2245
SLEPT: 8:30pm-3am, 6.5 hr
First attempt at riding on rollers instead of a ride, due to cold weather. I thought I'd automatically do 2.5 hours on the rollers, but I quickly discovered there is a learning curve -- riding on rollers is a LOT different than riding normally, despite being on the same exact bike. I was able to do it for about 30 minutes, most of it holding on to a wall, with lots of breaks as my arm would start to hurt. Towards the end, I forced myself to let go of the wall and hang on for dear life, almost crashing off the rollers several times but got it. After a brief pause, I tried again and had to grab a side table because I got so wobbly -- I realized my core was getting tired quickly. So rather than make myself miserable and learn to hate it, I stopped and moved on. Today, maybe 15 minutes with only 3 minutes with both hands. Next week, we'll try to move on from that number. AND I'll not eat the granola bar until AFTER the calories are burned, he he.

AM SNACK: 3:15 am, iced green tea, granola bar, 575 cal

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal
Too much fiber residue in today's juice, had to strain it. Maybe because I've amped up the kale? Hmmm.


LUNCH: 12pm, chicken meatballs, steamed string beans, Madras lentils, 630 cal
Busy at work, helpful to keep the hunger at bay.

PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, sauteed chicken breast, roasted brussel sprouts, quinoa, kimchi, 760 cal
The grain pushed me over budget, but it was a calculated risk -- I was so damn hungry and tired, I knew I needed something extra to slow that train down. It worked.
-----

WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2070
SLEPT: 8:15pm-2:45am, 6 hr
Was aiming to wake at 4, but got up and couldn't fall back asleep. Felt surprisingly mildly sore in the midsection from yesterday's brief roller experiment. Despite it being relatively unpleasant, I'm very happy with this result, definitely going to keep trying.

AM SNACK: 3 am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 7am, apple/beet/celery/carrot/cayenne/cucumber juice, 160 cal

BREAKFAST 2: 9:30am, whole fage with almonds, agave and vanilla, 310 cal


LUNCH: 12:15pm, chicken sausage, sofrito black beans, roasted brussel sprouts, 650 cal

PM SNACK: 3:30 pm, momma salad, hummus, 150 cal

DINNER: 8:15pm, arepas, vegetable chips & guac, +/-800 cal
Out to dinner with a friend who I don't see enough due to her brave career choices. Thanksgiving gives us time to check in, too bad it's usually over food!

No comments:

Post a Comment