Sunday, April 7, 2013

Drill Down: Green Tea



This entry is the first in a series where I select a foundation item from my weekly eating and really drill down into it, to force me to think deeper about what I'm eating. So to begin, we'll begin at the beginning, Benigan. Let's begin.

Green tea, it’s tea, it’s green, it’s Asian and has a halo of health around it. I start most of my days with a pint of it,unsweetened, brewed from loose leaves and cooled slowly on the windowsill before being thrown in the chill chest. Green tea seemed to get a buzz about it in the late 90s and early 00s as a wonder-super-healthy elixir that'll cure cancer, make you lose all your excess weight and allow you to smugly judge all those who would even think of drinking any other tea. I think my first exposure to green tea was over a decade ago. My friend the HVS, who before she was strictly vegan, had a taste for green tea ice cream. I remember liking it's mellow floral note, but thinking a good vanilla was still preferable.

Then a few years ago I was delivering a small cheesecake to a friend as a thank you for favor, and his wife served me a cup of freshly brewed green tea. It was a revelation. No, I didn't suddenly grow muscles, become spiritually awakened and swore off all other inferior teas. It just tasted....what I imagined perfect tea should taste like. I've had lots of tea in my time living and visiting England, but this was different. British tea barks at you in a cockney accent, needs sugar and milk, and the flavor is what I imagine a moist bulldog might taste like, if bulldogs were tasty. This tea, however, needed no condiments, and had the flavor of sweet greenery and spring breeze. It made me totally cheesy completely reassess my opinion about tea right then and there. 

So I got a few gallon pitchers, got a large 4-ounce tea-ball, and picked up some quality tea from the local market. On one end, Lipton does it's own green tea, but it's nasty. On the other end, you can also spend an unlimited amount of money on clipped tea buds from the highest mountain peaks from the islands off Japan, where only Buddhist high priests are allowed to tread for $1000/g. I've settled on a national brand available at Wholefoods, Rishi, which is not cheap but not stupidly expensive either.

At first, I'd take half the ounce container, put it in the ball, and leave it in water that was just boiling for about 3 to 4 minutes, then do it again to a second gallon. I found the flavor to be slightly bitter, not like my original experience, and I played with adding sugar, not to sweeten but mute the bitter tones. 
Mmmm, HFCS & acids, for when you need your tea to be just like your soda pop.
Considering a pint of Arizona green tea had three tablespoons of sugar, my 2oz/gallon (1.5tbsp/pint) seemed reasonable. But eventually I realized that day in, day out, the calories from the sugar were adding up, and after reading up on sugar, was it really necessary? My original exposure had no sugar, and didn't need sugar.

So I read the label on the Rishi carefully, and lo-and-behold, there was specific instructions on how to brew their product. Water at 160 degrees, steep for 2 minutes, that's it. I measured the water temp, and found the ideal temperature was not just below boiling, but around the point when little bubbles start forming on the bottom of the pot. So I followed the instructions, and the chilled tea was....naturally mildly sweet, with nothing added. I won't go into the different kinds of green tea here, but any thing that says "machta" on it is a good place to start, for it's naturally sweet tones. 

I'm now starting everyday with a pint of unsweetened, zero-calorie green tea. Usually within an hour or two, I'm ready to eat breakfast. What I'm starting my day with is basically 99% or so water. So what is in that 1% that makes green tea so hyped?
Really? Jesse would like a word with you.
After extensive internet thinkin', I've come to these realizations:
  • Green tea should be considered Chinese, not Japanese, though many Asian countries grow their own.
  • Make no mistake, green tea is not herbal tea, it's tea-tea, it all comes from essentially the same species of bush, just a differently processed than the black westerners are accustomed to. Caffeine, it's in there. It's about 1/3 to 1/6 that coffee typically has, so my pint in the morning is the equivalent of about half a cup of coffee.
  • While there probably are some health benefits to green tea, the science is inconclusive, and where it is conclusive, it suggests it would take massive amounts of tea or concentrated extracts equivalent of 100s of cups daily to make a difference.

I guess the crazy hype is a symptom of some sort of western-guilt or reverse-racism, prescribing magical powers to the "mysterious Orient". It probably influenced my choice of breakfast drink, but the reason I've come to love it every morning is it tastes good, it gives me the mild boost of caffeine I require to help get going in the morning, gentle on my system and hydrates me, and while the health benefits are questionable, it's definitely more nutritious than my previous morning beverage, Diet Coke.

I've been picking up mostly machta green tea, which in Japan is used in tea ceremonies and as the flavoring in green tea sweets. Next time I go shopping for tea, I'm definitely going to do some internet-thinkin' on the fly (via smart phone) and explore some of the many other kinds and nationalities of green tea out there.
-----

Buzzfeed recently did a bit on what 2000 calories looks like:

Meh. I'm not sure what the value of informing us that you can subsist on ten cans of fat-free canned whipped "creme" a day, or eat an entire large pizza and get all your calories for the day. I do know I'd have horrible indigestion and probably feel like crap if I did that....but yeah, I'd probably continue to lose weight. I kinda wish they'd also show what 2000 calories full of vegetables, lean proteins, reasonable snacks and drinks would look like, but I guess that wouldn't get the eyeballs and clicks that Buzzfeed exists to excite.
-----

WEEKLY AVERAGE: 2205
Hungrier week, but only one day over budget, perhaps due to returning to (a reasonable 2oz portion of whole wheat) pasta. Unlike December when I found myself getting hungry, this time I'm not cheating or thinking, "oh, I'm hungrier, my body must be burning more calories!" Oh, if only that was true.

Now that I've set myself a reward of an all-day bike ride, I've started gaining momentum in getting to one. damn. pull up. I've started to tuck my elbows a bit in push ups, which is proper form, and have found it kills my upper triceps, which is where the first movement of a pull up happens. Cut back on the push ups from 100 to closer to 60, as the soreness is very happening. Looking into resistance bands to assist, and according to Internet wisdom, the two kinds of pull-ups I've been doing (pull-ups are palms away, neutral pull ups are palms facing each other) are both harder than the one kind I have NOT been trying, the chin up (palms facing towards your face). Any one will count, as long as it's from a totally prone position and involves no assistance, jumping or momentum of any kind. Monday is chin-up day, or the day to place an order for bands!

Also a quick pat on my own back -- Edie was off from school all last week and part of this week, and it barely effected my caloric intake. In the past, this kind of disruption would make it go all kablooey, so yeah, I'm...

-----

MONDAY COUNT: 2350

AM SNACK: 8:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10:30am, steel cut oatmeal, 250 cal

PM SNACK: noon, momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 2:30pm, eggplant hero, side salad, water, +/-700 cal
Out at a red-sauce Italian joint with kids and a good friend. Ordered the hero minus the cheese, and resisted finishing up the pizza that my kids were getting down on. There was a slice of red velvet cake that I was able to easily pass on, despite kinda wanting to eat a good portion of it simply to keep it from getting eaten by my toddler.

PM SNACK: 5:30pm, apple/carrot/beet/kale/ginger juice, 115 cal

DINNER: 8:30pm, stir fry with shrimp, shirataki noodles, broccoli, mushrooms and black bean paste, poppa salad with miso tahini, water, 585 cal
Just realized that this dish had over 300g of broccoli -- my poppa salad is also around 300g. That was a big-ass meal, very satisfying, but calories are in normal range due to the bulk being vegetables. Huh, funny how that works.

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, Fritos, 300 cal

EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, cheesy poofs, 300 cal
Got honestly hungry. Suspect it was the white bread at lunch that did me in.
-----

TUESDAY COUNT: 2010

AM SNACK: 8:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10:45am, fruit smoothie, 400 cal
Did a new count on this, upped it from 375.

LUNCH: 2:45pm, almond butter & jelly on whole wheat, pickle, momma salad, water, 540 cal

PM SNACK: 4:45pm, beef jerky, 160 cal

PM SNACK: 6:45pm, poppa salad with miso tahini dressing, 100 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, chicken sausage, jodpur lentils, steamed string beans, 510 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2565
Surprisingly high calorie day. Got unusually hungry around 6pm, for a bit thought I might have to get something to eat while out in case my brain would shut down, but that didn't happen. After dinner, I still felt hungry, so I made myself wait 20 minutes before pouring Fritos. After 20 minutes, I did feel less hungry, but hungry never the less. Next time this happens, will force myself to wait 30 minutes, it might make the difference between an on and off-budget day.

Looking at what I ate, the pasta at lunch sticks out like a sore thumb. Did this set me up for hunger & extra calories later in the day?

Woke up with seriously sore upper triceps. Yesterday, I tried tucking my elbows in and below me rather than sticking them out when I do my two sets of 50 push ups. I was able to do the first set, but 3 into the second, I had to stop, as my upper arms felt too rubbery. Though I was tempted to feel guilty about doing less push ups, I'm very happy this morning, because this seems to be the specific muscle area that is preventing me from that first movement in doing one. damn. pull up.

AM SNACK: 7:45am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10am, Whole Fage with almonds, agave and vanilla, 300 cal

PM SNACK: noon, momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 1:15pm, chicken meatballs and whole wheat spaghetti with tomato sauce & spinach, 645 cal
Hadn't had this meal in a while, due to avoiding refined grains and substituting shirataki for pasta the past few months. Last time I ate pasta like this, it seemed impossible to eat only 2oz of the stuff, the recommended serving, and always cooked up 4. This time, 2oz seemed pretty enough. Huh. Still, this meal is a little too high on the calories for comfort

PM SNACK: 4pm, apple/carrot/kale/beet/cucumber/celery/ginger/cayenne juice, 170 cal
Decided to make a more complex juice to avoid a rut. Measured and packed today's and Friday's juice in advance, so all it takes is a wash, a chop and right into the juicer. If juice is made then refrigerated, it degrades pretty fast, and after a day, is meh.

DINNER: 9pm, scallops. black beans, roasted brussel sprouts, poppa salad with miso tahini dressing 750 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, Fritos, 300 cal

-----

THURSDAY COUNT: 2015
Second day in a row I got uncomfortably hungry in the afternoon. Had my PM snack on me, but I was squiring around 2 kids so I could not indulge until we got to a playground. Got hungry after evening snack, too, but was controllable.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10am, steel cut oatmeal, 250 cal

PM SNACK: noon, momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 1:30pm, grilled chicken breast, chana masala, steamed string beans, 590 cal

PM SNACK: 4:15pm, beef jerky, 160 cal

DINNER: 6:45pm, mahi mahi, roasted asparagus, roasted spring onion, poppa salad with miso tahini dressing cal, 615 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, Fritos, 300 cal

-----

FRIDAY COUNT: 2085
Woke up hungry. Had cooking, chores and then weights to distract me until breakfast.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10am, Whole Fage with almonds, agave and vanilla, 300 cal

AM SNACK: 11:45am, momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 1:30pm, deli ham & mustard on whole wheat toast, chana masala, kimchi, water, 465 cal
Not the lunch planned, but no broc due to the oven being used on some prep for a dinner party this Sunday, and no sardine & avocado due the only avocados available at the market are rock hard. Other than not enough fresh veg, relatively healthy. Used a new brand of bread "Bread Alone", more expensive but few ingredients, no fillers and preservatives and softeners and 10 kinds of sugar, just whole wheat flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast, kinda like how I'd make it. Which makes me think I should get back in the habit of bread baking.

PM SNACK: 4:15pm,  apple/carrot/kale/beet/cucumber/celery/ginger/cayenne juice, 180 cal

DINNER: 6pm, homemade hamburger with mushrooms (no bread), roasted brussel sprouts and spring onion, baked acorn squash, water, 640 cal

PM SNACK: 7:45pm, poppa salad with miso tahini dressing, 100 cal

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, Fritos, 300 cal





No comments:

Post a Comment