Sunday, May 5, 2013

Weigh In, Beefcake Edition


207.2-->204.0-->201.0


Another healthy loss, kind of expected it -- which is a little dangerous, because if the expected result doesn't happen, it can send you into a spiral of self doubt. Unprovoked compliments from friends seem to be on an uptick again, perhaps because the warmer weather combined with some new, slimmer-cut Spring clothes. Or maybe it's because I'm BEEFCAAAKE!

Still no. One. Damn. Pull up. But I'm getting closer, closer than ever before. At this point, it's a race to see which goal I hit first, either getting down to 196 (where my BMI will be merely "overweight" rather than "obese") or doing the pull up. I think it's realistic at least one of these goals will be met by August 1st.

I feel good and I'm happy with my results, so my only concern is to avoid getting bored with my eating. This is not "a diet" that I will abandon when I hit my goals so I can bounce back up to super-fat-ass, this is my diet to which I am committed to until the day I die, or get old enough to just not give a damn.
Eat whatever I want, will I!
 Thoughts on how to refine my eating.

  • Weekend eating is evolving for the better, getting less desperate -- the appeal of junk food is slowly diminishing, as I miss it less.
  • Afternoon snack needs an overhaul. Juicing 3x a week is great, but not convenient -- must actually be home for it. May shift it to a breakfast or evening snack. Beef jerky is getting tired. Maybe a portable whole fruit is a good afternoon snack. Just picked up 100-cal packs of seaweed sheets from Costco, may be a contender.
  • Step up my vegetable game. Rotation of string beans, broc, asparagus and brussel sprouts is starting to feel like an unending carousel. Snow peas added this past week and are easy and delicious, gonna get 'em weekly. Maybe think of mushrooms as more of a main side dish rather than just another ingredient in a stir fry.

I weighed in on Friday, then checked in again on the Wednesday the 1st, the day after a long bike ride. The later day had me at 202.8, which is still good, but I think from now on the last Friday morning of the month will be the official weigh-in day, simply for honest consistency.

-----

Every image from the "fat cyclist" search made me depressed , so I googled "fat car" and immediately felt better about life.
It's funny to think in terms of bike riding, I've lost about 1.5 bicycles, literally: my road bike weights about 20 lbs, and some people spend stupid amounts to shave ounces off their bikes. As there is no such thing as a negative-10lb bike, I think I did well, he he. I'm still getting used to the feel of my lighter body on the bike. It's not translating to faster riding, however, and I'm considering getting a heart rate monitor to formalize and encourage pushing it a little.

Hard time keeping to calorie budget this week, which is a growing trend over the last few weeks. I know that distance cycling can charge the metabolism, but I guess I've never seen it so clearly -- at least I hope that this is what this is. My cyclometer reports calories burned, and I aim to eat close to or slightly above that amount on the bike. I'm finding that eating to catch up every 2 hours or so on the bike really works for me, keeping me energized, focused, and away from the bonk, while avoiding the excess that can happen from getting too hungry then sitting down to a monster meal. Still, the echo effect of being hungrier for days afterwards.... how do I calculate an increased calorie budget for those days that will allow for steady monthly weight loss? Perhaps a topic for a future entry.

Regardless, looking at the chart above, it is this time of year -- the first months of cycling season -- that I start to naturally lose weight. Even when I was on my old cycle of eating sugar every day and almost no vegetables, weight came off so I'm curious to see it's effect on my current way of eating.
-----

WEEKLY AVERAGE: 2393
Thought it would be a lot higher, after this week. Though I busted my budget several times this week, I never felt out of control or fraught.
-----

MONDAY COUNT: 2390
Good work out. Got serious sugar pangs in the evening, so an extra carby/fatty/salty snack was called in to keep my hands on the steering wheel.

AM SNACK: 7:45am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 11:15am, steel cut oatmeal, 250 cal

PM SNACK: 12:30pm,  momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 1:30pm, pork chops, string beans, madras lentils, kimchi, water, 685 cal

PM SNACK: 5:15pm, apple/carrot/beet/kale/ginger/celery/cucumber/cayenne juice, 190 cal

PM SNACK: 8:15pm, poppa salad with watered down babaganoush, 100 cal

DINNER: 9pm, stir fry with shiritaki noodles, brocolli, snow peas, shitaki mushrooms and shrimp in black bean sauce, 465 cal
Skipped stirfrying and went Italian, as I made the sauce today. Pretty decent.

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, Fritos, 300 cal

EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, Cheesy Poofs, 300 cal
-----

BIKE CREDIT: 1250
TUESDAY COUNT: 2615
Great afternoon bike ride to City Island, fueled by homemade granola bars and then 50 cent bags of miscellaneous chips.

AM SNACK: 7:45am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 10:45am, fruit smoothie, 400 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, PBJ on whole wheat,  390 cal
Had my lunch tied to handlebars, and it rubbed against my front wheel and the momma salad got corrupted.

BIKE SNACK: 1pm, granola bar, 475 cal

BIKE SNACK: 3:30pm, granola bar, 475 cal

BIKE SNACK: 5:45pm, potato chos, Doritos, diet coke, 340 cal

BIKE SNACK: 7:45pm, potato chips and Funyuns, 320 cal

DINNER: 9pm, whole wheat spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce, snow peas, parm and chicken meatballs,  poppa salad with miso tahini, 965 cal

EVENING SNACKING: 11-12am, 2 waffles with babaganoush, rice crispies with whole milk, +/-500 cal
Got really h8ungry, the kind of hunger that comes after a ride. Took a lot to avoid slamming something sweet, but got through.

-----

WEDNESDAY COUNT: 2815
Bought a 4 pound sack of peanut M&Ms at Costco today in the morning, looking forward to murdering it this weekend. Was just a very hungry day, unusually so. I thought I completed the day well, eating a lot of healthy food in large quantity, but hunger kicked my ass in the evening. It was somewhere between honest hunger and extreme sugar cravings, and I had multiple thoughts of gorging on the peanut M&Ms. When I realized I might have a hard to falling asleep due to hunger, I allowed myself to graze....as long as I avoided what I wanted most, something sweet. Hopefully my hunger will come back into line tomorrow.

AM SNACK: 7:45am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 9am, Fage whole yogurt with agave, almonds, and vanilla, 320 cal

Hungry from yesterday's ride, plus had to go to Costco via bicycle, so early breakfast was in order.

LUNCH: 1:30pm, sliced roasted turkey breast, madras lentils, roasted asparagus, pickle,  745 cal
Hungry!

PM SNACK: 4:15pm, apple/carrot/beet/kale/ginger/celery/cucumber/cayenne juice, 170 cal

DINNER: 8:30pm, sauteed scallops, sofrito black beans, roasted broccoli, kimchi, water, 680 cal


EVENING SNACK: 10pm, Fritos, 300 cal

EVENING GRAZING: 11-12pm, cheesy poofs, 2 pretzel rods, chicken nuggets, +/- 600 cal


-----

THURSDAY COUNT: 1910
Got bits of good news in the morning, helped me hit my weight routine a little harder. Felt a little weird in the evening, tired but wired. Got to bed around 11pm with only a moderate amount of hunger.

AM SNACK: 7:15am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 11am, steel cut oatmeal, 250 cal

LUNCH: 1pm, sardine & avocado on whole wheat toast, momma salad, kimchi,  575 cal

PM SNACK: 4:15pmseaweed pack, 100 cal

PM SNACK: 6:15pm, poppa salad with miso tahini dressing, 100 cal

DINNER: 7:30pm, chicken, string beans, babaganoush,  585 cal


EVENING SNACK: 8:15pm, Fritos, 300 cal
-----

FRIDAY COUNT: 2235
Woke up at 3am to pee and just could not get back to sleep. Spent the wee hours in the tub, feeling somewhere between pleasantly sore from yesterday's work out and unpleasantly creaky and tired.

AM SNACK: 4am, iced green tea, 0 cal

BREAKFAST: 7:30am, Fage whole yogurt with agave, almonds, and vanilla, 320 cal
Got too hungry to wait to a more traditional hour.

AM SNACK: 11:30am, momma salad, 100 cal

LUNCH: 12:45pm, broiled flounder, quinoa, 735
Tired. Running low on veg, and my body is craving carbs, so might as well indulge it in a healthier, controlled way.

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, apple/carrot/beet/kale/ginger/celery/cucumber/cayenne juice, 180 cal

DINNER: 6pm, sautéed chicken breast, roasted brussel sprouts & cipollini onions, sofrito black beans, +/-600 cal


EVENING SNACK: 7:15pm, Fritos, 300 cal


No comments:

Post a Comment